Sunday, December 2, 2007

Snowbirds

The deer regular firearms season is over so I can venture outside without the fear of being shot. Too bad, though, it's a dreary, cloudy day. Temperatures are in the 40s--not too bad since it is supposed to get colder soon. Luckily, I still have my birds at the feeder and around our yard which I can photograph from the house.

Dark-eyed Juncos or snowbirds as many people call them returned from the north about a month ago. Usually, I see one or two first, maybe like scouts, before I see a flock of 10-20 of them feeding on the ground. In higher elevations around here, particularly on Salt Pond Mountain, they stay all year round. In fact, these birds have evolved slightly differently with dark beaks rather than the whitish-pink beaks of the typical Junco.



I took this picture on Friday when it was still sunny. These birds, along with the Carolina Chickadees, eat the berries of this Burning Bush shrub all winter. The shrub is not native here but I don't have the heart to pull it out since the birds use it for cover and eat the berries.



I liked the way this one was looking at me as I was taking his picture.

7 comments:

  1. I love the juncos. We get them only in the winter time. It's very exciting to see them return! Your photos are great! I haven't been able to get a clear shot of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris--I like the juncos too! Wish I could be a snowbird and go south for the winter and return in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots in the burning bush. I understand how you feel about it--at least it is serving a purpose by fruiting for the birds.
    A honeysuckle in our woods attracted a flock of cedar waxwings for a meal--the first I'd seen of them in many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina--we have the Japanese Honeysuckle too. I try to pull it up because it's so invasive but hummingbirds and birds love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see we 'see' with the same eyes :0)
    Perusing your photos makes me a little homesick for sunnier days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the colors in the back ground of these photos! The Dark-eyed Junco's are faved birds of mine also! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete