Thursday, July 16, 2009

Spicebush Swallowtail

My husband and I returned from a trip to Seattle recently (will post some wildflower photos soon!). Before I left, I bought a new camera--a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1. I had grown tired of lugging around my heavy SLR with two extra lenses (telephoto and macro).

This was one of my first photos:


Spicebush Swallowtail July 2, 2009

This butterfly is very common--maybe because we have many spicebush shrubs around. I took this using the telephoto (has 20X zoom). When I tried to take a photo of a bird in the tree, the camera would not focus on the bird--kept getting a leaf in focus.

So, I will still be using my SLR for birds if they are in foliage. Otherwise, this new camera will be my primary camera. It takes video too although my Sony camcorder has more features.


This photo of Kookie was also taken with the telephoto from about 15 feet away.

6 comments:

  1. Oh a new camera! I also have been using a new camera with 20x zoom..a canon.
    Never had an SLR..I really dont want the bulk...the 20x is bulky enough.
    I sure do appreciate the photos taken with an SLR..just not for me.
    Looks like your new camera is doing a great job!
    i know what u mean about the focusing defocusing..
    have fun with your new cam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful butterfly. I havn't seen one before.

    www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful swallowtail! I haven't seen as many this year as last year...I wonder if I'm just not out at the right time of day.
    And Kookie is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dAwN--so far, I do like the camera and I don't miss all the weight of the SLR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol--perhaps this butterfly only uses the spice bush for its host plant so that may be why you haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri--I haven't seen as many butterflies either. I think the rain might have something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete