Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Surprises: Snake and Flower

Late this morning, Kookie and I walked down the driveway to get the newspaper.  Kookie started her "snake" bark which is loud and somewhat fearful.


Eastern Hog-Nosed Snake    April 20, 2014 

Our dog had found an Eastern Hog-Nosed Snake. I was puzzled at first because of the orange color but then saw images online that showed this snake in many different colors but with similar markings.  This snake appeared to be about 3 feet long.

This was my third and Kookie's second encounter with this species of snake.  He spreads his head and hisses which still scares me even though I know he is not venomous.  He would have played dead if I had messed with him; but, instead, I led the dog away by her collar to let him escape.

 Large-Flower Trillium   April 20, 2014 

Since Easter was later this year, the Large-Flower Trillium was blooming in the woods.  I like this better than an Easter Lily since it is native and wild.

Brown Thrasher   April 6, 2014

Earlier in the month, I was able photograph a Brown Thrasher--a very big bird.  I had heard his song in the woods and briars but he moves around so fast, I was not able to photograph him.  He was below the feeders, looking for insects in the ground.    I read that these birds are becoming scarce so I was glad to see him.

14 comments:

  1. The way they puff up is indeed a bit scary. They put on such a show of being aggressive but really are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman--yes, I am always scared when they do that. I still keep my distance from the snake.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful snake with that unexpected orange color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma--yes, the orange does not seem to be a good camouflage around here--maybe with clay soils?

      Delete
  3. I've never seen one of those snakes....that color sure is pretty but I don't think I'd want to meet him in the woods :) Trillium is one of my favorite wildflowers...and I didn't know that Brown Thrashers were getting scarce...that is very sad...they have such a lovely song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerri Farley--the snake eats toads which he digs up with his "hog nose." I just read that the brown thrasher was scarce in my iPad Audubon app. I don't see many here but I bet it has more to do with lack of habitat.

      Delete
  4. Didn't know thrashers were getting scarce. Have a pair that appear to hang out - nest, maybe? - inthe back hedge. Will appreciate them a bit more now.

    You may keep my share of Mr. Snake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. webb--maybe your habitat for thrashers is similar to mine--woods, open field (my backyard)? That must be what they need--both woods and open spaces. I do love to hear them in the woods (thought they were mockingbirds for a long time).

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures. Well,not the snake so much but the Trillium and the Thrasher are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth--thanks so much. I don't care for snakes either but am glad we don't seem to have any venomous ones around our place.

      Delete
  6. what great sightings you've enjoyed. love all three. sad to hear the brown thrasher is scarce. but, glad you were able to document this one. have a great day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naquility--I will appreciate our thrasher more now too that I read they are getting scarce. Hope you had a nice day.

      Delete
  7. Love the photo you were able to sneak of the bird. The wild Trilliums are one of my favorites, too. Up north we called them "Wood Flowers." That snake scares me (however.) I'm usually not scared by snakes. I think it is his vibrant orange color that screams 'warning!' and the 'fatness' of his body. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful snake...glad it's not poisonious.

    ReplyDelete