Thursday, May 17, 2018

Crazy Spring!

Winter and spring have been very unseasonable to say the least.  January started off with bitter cold like many other years then became warmer until it was downright hot in February, days at a time so that we had ticks all winter.  March was stormy, cold then warm,  with our power out four different times, 10 days all total.  I did not feel spring until late April.  Now, May is getting hot again.

I am often asked since I live in the woods if I see any changes due to climate change.  Like many old-timers, you do sense a change in the climate.  Invasive plants like multi-flora rose grow all winter.  But native plants vary.  Some came up early like spring beauties but others like trillium waited until May when the weather was warm.  I did not see any of my lovely showy orchis but others spotted them in early May, weeks later than their usual blooming period. 

Our columbine bloomed first week in May while usually it blooms in early April.  In fact, I put out the hummer feeders when they bloom.  This year I put them out the first week in April with a hummingbird coming April 9, well before the columbine was blooming.

Today my husband found a snapping turtle in the driveway.  I went down to take a photo...


I posted on Facebook (Joan Kark) and a friend sent me this NPR link:


The article says that the turtles come on land only once a year to nest, just like sea turtles that come ashore.   I hope no one eats the eggs like was suggested in this article.

Speaking of turtles, I moved a large box turtle to the side of the road (in the direction I thought he was going).  Box turtles only have about a mile and half radius territory and should never be moved from it or they will forever wander, looking for their home.  This box turtle's home, a wide strip of former woods between Walker Creek and the road, had been cleared of trees.  I hope this old turtle can survive there.  






No comments:

Post a Comment