Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rain much needed --- Flood not so much!

We received 2.5 inches of rain Friday and Saturday night. Our intermittent stream was flowing for the first time in ages. Peepers were loud in the valley Saturday evening.

On Sunday, I drove to town and when I tried to return, Walker Creek had flooded over the road. Although I was only about a mile from the house, I had to make a big detour on another road, going 10 miles out of my way. Usually, that amount of rain would not cause a flash flood but perhaps there was a lot more rain further up the creek which originates in North Carolina, flowing north into the New River (which also flows north).


Walker Creek: April 7 (one day after flood)

This is normally a riffle with exposed rocks.



This view shows a little of Rye Hollow Road. I was surprised how fast everything turns back to normal.

On another note, I bought a macro lens which arrived yesterday so I took a few pictures to see how it works.


Spring Beauty: April 8

This tiny bee or fly? was just the right size for the 3/8" size flower. One thing I noticed about this photo is that two areas are in focus--the flower in the foreground and the leaf behind the second flower. Why is that?

This is my first macro lens so any tips on using a macro lens with an SLR digital camera will be appreciated. So far, I like it because it will inspire me to look closer at nature's wonders.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you got your macro lens. Very cool pic. You sure got a lot of rain, guess everything will start to really bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chriss--hope to get out a little today with my macro lens. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! That's a lot of rain!
    Good luck with your macro lens, I can't wait to see what you discover with it. Sorry I can't comment on your focus queastion, I really don't know that much about lenses! Have fun with your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan,

    You sure did get some rain. We had several days of it without flooding. Now they are predicting a very dry April!

    That looks like a small bumble bee to me. I have a macro function on my point and shoot - not an SLR. I love that photo of the bee on the flower. I always wonder abut the focus, too, and keep snapping away until I get what I want :o) Have fun with it!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary--we could always use a little more rain but for the past year, it comes in very intermittant downpours. I do think the bug on the spring beauty is a bee but of what type, I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris--I will try to use the macro lens more. I find I hesitate just because I have to change the lens and then get down on the ground to use! Joan

    ReplyDelete