Friday, January 29, 2010

Flooding before another Snow Storm


On Sunday night, several inches of rain fell on top of the saturated ground, resulting in another flood. This view above of our valley is of an intermittent creek that flows into Big Walker Creek which rose above its banks to flood the road. Our road actually had this creek flowing over it for several days before VDOT finally fixed it. The creek will probably stay until late spring, attracting waterfowl. I have seen a Great Blue Heron and another shore bird fly off when I drove past.

I made a fire in the wood stove to warm the house in advance of another snowstorm tonight and tomorrow (7-11 inches predicted). I am glad it's snow instead of the ice that Oklahoma received. This is the third snowstorm this winter and all have happened on the weekend. We also have had two floods, one right after the Dec. 5 storm) and the one this week. It's been a wet winter this year.

The winter seems more like the ones we had when we first moved out here in the mid-1980s. We got a lot of snow back then. I remember we both drove vehicles that did not have 4WD and we couldn't make it up the driveway for weeks at a time (with a 1/3 mile driveway that was a real hassle). We soon traded those in for 4WDs.

I hope to take some photos on Sunday when the sun will be out after the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you got the same weather as us this week - rain, floods and now snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got about 10 inches of snow here in Blacksburg. I'm hoping this is the last snow for this winter....I am looking forward to green grass, colorful flowers, and my beloved butterflies returning :)

    ReplyDelete