Thursday, July 18, 2019

Butterfly Plant with Butterflies

 Every year, the butterfly plants attract many butterflies.

I planted this butterfly milkweed plant 20 years ago but it has not spread that much. The most butterflies I saw were about 9 at one time, all fritillaries.

 This swallowtail was flying around but did not land on the butterfly milkweed.

 This common milkweed came up volunteer.

I am not sure what kind of butterfly this is or the small bee.  In the past, I have noticed the common milkweed attracts small moths in the evening.

I have not done an inventory of butterflies but it appears there are fewer this year although still a good variety.  Perhaps the wet weather earlier in the spring hampered the growth of caterpillars.  Or, maybe the many birds we attract to our yard with our feeders is cutting down on caterpillar production.




1 comment: