Sunday, August 23, 2009

Late Summer Flowers for Honey Bees

I have made notes in my bee journal on the flowers that I see honey bees are visiting for nectar and pollen. From about July 1 to August 1, the Sourwood trees were flowering, providing nectar. Since then, I have spotted honey bees on field and garden flowers.


Honey Bee on Knapweed (Brown?)

In late July, I photographed honey bees on this knapweed which covered a pasture in a nearby county. I had been pulling up this alien plant where I have found it so now I am rethinking that because this plant seems to provide a good source of nectar and pollen. After my bee sighting, I went up to our pasture (about 3 years since it has been brushhogged). It took awhile but I did find a few honey bees on the knapweed but not on the brown-eyed susans and Queen-Anne's Lace that were also there.

In nearby Blacksburg, I saw honey bees on Russian Sage (and earlier in the summer on lavender) which prompted me to buy a couple of the Russian sage plants at the local Home Depot. While I was there, I noticed honey bees on purple coneflower, yellow jackets on penta flowers, and flies on another flowering plant. It's wierd that the bees have changed the way I garden. I think about what my bees might like to have!

In front of my dog vet's office, I saw honey bees on an unfamiliar shrub while they seemed to ignore all the other flowers in his great garden. When I went back to pick up my dog, the vet handed me two pots with cuttings from the shrub and the name: Blue Mist BlueBeard.


Blue Mist Bluebeard (Caryopteris clandonensis)

This shrub also is not native but does not look like it is invasive either so I think I can plant it in my yard. Now that the weather is finally sunny and not so hot today, I will go out and look for more honey bees.

8 comments:

  1. I was photographing bees on thistle plants earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japanese Knotweed
    http://www.phlorum.com/


    There are various different methods of Japanese knotweed removal. Using a Japanese knotweed rhizome barrier may be one of the methods to prevent the local spread of the plant. This will prevent the spreading across a land boundary as the barrier is buried along the required margin. The barrier is comprised of a thick sheet of plastic that cannot be penetrated by underground growth of the knotweed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanda--I have some nice photos of butterflies and native bees on thistle but didn't see any honey bees. My honey bees are pretty mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phlorum--I had identified the plant before as Japanese Knotweed but wasn't too sure this time. I have removed this around my house but it doesn't seem to be too invasive in my old pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phorum--After looking at your website, it's definitely not Japanese knotweed that's growing here--it's either Brown or Black Knapweed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool that you are planting to attract the bees. More people should do the same! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! I love looking at the bees buzzing around flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My neighbor just started keeping bees this summer, and I have seen them in my garden almost from the first day. On the bee balm, lavender, and liatris, and several other plants. They also drink out of my birdbaths regularly.

    ReplyDelete